Solarpost Lighting Bollard
Our Solarpost solar powered bollard is perfect for lighting cycling paths, trails, parks, parking spaces, lots, campuses, marinas, driveways, terraces and gardens. Having a sleek, modern look, this innovative and smart product provides continuous low-level illumination during dark hours and automatically increases intensity when a person approaches by using long-range sensors.
Zero energy costs
Easy installation with choice of secure ground fixings
Economical to install due to the absence of fixed electrical connections
No trenching or wiring required (therefore no resurfacing required)
Sensors increasing the intensity of lighting when a person approaches
Minimal maintenance costs
Minimal visual pollution with no greenhouse gas emissions
Green and eco-friendly equipment
Powder coated finish in silver gray (light gray) or anthracite gray (dark gray)
Available in two heights of 1,080 mm or 760 mm
Custom color and height offered on request
Zero energy costs
Solar energy harvested from four vertical faces totalling 102,300 mm2
Lead acid battery with a lifetime up to 5 years
High performance with LED light 180 lumens per watt with 71° wide illumination beam
14 days of autonomy (without daylight)
20 days of autonomy in transport mode
Sensors increasing the intensity of lighting when a person approaches
Stylish, weather-resistant aluminum enclosure
Nuts and anchor screws included
Weight 12 kg
Solarpost Control System
The Solarpost control system uses a four channel dynamic boost algorithm to maximise the power generated from each individual solar panel. During the day the light tracks across the Solarpost, illuminating and shading the panels. To capture energy efficiently from direct and indirect sunlight, the optimum power point of the panels is calculated in real time and the charge taken from the panels is adjusted, harvesting the maximum power from each panel.
The battery is charged throughout the day from the energy harvested from the solar panels. The Solarpost control system has battery management technology which mitigates full discharge by reducing the LED brightness till there is sufficient ambient light to charge. To maintain battery levels during transportation a low power mode can be initiated by briefly placing a magnet against the Solarpost, once installed the magnet is used again to activate ready for use.
The Solarpost control system monitors the ambient light levels, anticipating the transition from day to night. The automatic transition allows for seasonal changes in light levels. During the night a high efficiency 180 lumens-per-watt white LED illuminates. The brightness of the LED is regulated by a pulse-width-modulation driver circuit, the LED remains at a low light level until activated by the passive infrared (PIR) sensors. The PIR sensors have a detection range of up to 5m, on approach the LED brightens for 10 seconds, gently dimming to the low level.
The Solarpost control unit is fully sealed and uses IPX7 connectors.
Solar Panels Specifications
Type: AGM VRLA - Lead Acid Battery
Capacity: 6V 10Ah
Lifetime: up to 5 years at 20°C
Operating Temperature: -20 to +60°C
Transportation: Meets all requirements of the International Air Transport Association (I.A.T.A Dangerous Goods Regulations).
Excellent recovery from deep discharge
Conforms to BS EN61056-1 and IEC1056-1 regulations
Light Emitting Diode (LED) Specifications
Colour Temperature: 3700K to 5000K
Max Current: 520mA
Max LED Power: 1.43W
180 lumens per watt
PIR Sensors Specifications
Type: Passive infrared sensor
Range: up to 5 metres
Detection Angle: 120°
Cap and lid die-cast aluminium, to BS EN 755-2:2013
Post and chassis extruded aluminium to BS EN 755- 9:2001
Processing CNC machining with cutter heads using mineral-based coolant
Finishing Powder coating to PE54/TRB7202/5/180/ST
IP rating 66 (ingress protection)
Ground Fixing Options
Frequently Asked Questions
1) How many watts does the Solarpost Lighting Bollard generate?
In bright sunlight the post generates approx. 4.1W. On an overcast day the post generates approx. 0.5W.
These values were obtained with the post having a clear view of the sky all around. They will vary greatly depending on the position of any trees or buildings in close proximity.
2) What is the PV collection area of the Solarpost Lighting Bollard?
The bollard has a PV collection area of 82,800 mm2.
3) Is there enough power to keep the light on permanently from dusk to dawn?
Yes, the light will be on permanently at a low level from dusk to dawn provided the product receives some charge every day.
4) How long does it typically take to re-charge the battery?
The battery is sized to run the light at a low level for 10 days with no charging. In bright sunlight a depleted battery will fully charge in under 8 hours.
5) How does the Solarpost Lighting Bollard perform in countries with long dark winters with little sunshine (darkness 4 p.m. – 7 a.m.)?
The bollard has been specifically designed to work well in Northern latitudes in the winter. The PV panels are mounted vertically give the best performance when the sun is low in the sky. The electronics module uses advanced algorithms to adjust the power supplied to the LED to give the best possible performance commensurate with the solar power received.
6) What is the lx level for the bollard on dim light and bright light?
64 lx dim light 150 lx bright light
7) How long does the bright light stay on when activated by the sensor?
The light stays at the brighter level for 20 seconds and then slowly fades down to the low level over approximately 7 seconds.
8) What is the recommended fixing distance between each bollard?
3 – 5 metres.
9) What is the IP rating?
Fully potted electronics module with sealed connectors providing IP66 protection.
10) How long does the LED light last?
The LED light is driven a long way below its maximum rating. This makes it very efficient and provides a long life. Its calculated life is in excess of 10 years.
11) How long does the battery last? With what guarantee?
The battery has a calculated life of greater than five years. The warranty is for two years.
12) Is there a warranty on all solar components?
Yes, we offer a two year warranty on all parts.
13) Does the bollard require any maintenance?
The PV panels and LED should be cleaned once a year, preferably in autumn. Only use a non-abrasive detergent and water. Do not pressure wash.
14) How can you control the light when bollards are being used in a busy campus and the sensor keeps it on permanent brightness? Will it stay bright permanently?
The lighting control algorithms monitor how many times the sensor is activated and will automatically reduce the brightness and/or duration of brightup to preserve energy.
15) How long will the lighting bollard work without any sunshine / light?
The bollard will work for approximately 10 days with no sunshine, assuming the battery was fully charged at the start.
16) What is the LED power consumption of the Solarpost Lighting Bollard?
Low level 120 mW bright up 600 mW
17) Can the Solarpost Lighting Bollard be programmed to come on any time?
There is no real-time clock. Software can be developed if necessary to provide on/off times at set times after/before dawn and dusk.
18) Can the brightness of the lights be adjusted?
The brightness of the lights is fixed in the software. Lighting can only be adjusted by changing the software in the factory – not in the field.
19) Can the Solarpost Lighting Bollard work in total shade?
Yes, total shade was simulated by measuring the charging performance on a completely overcast day, full cloud coverage with no sun visible. Charging was measured at 0.5W. This is more than sufficient over an 8 hour period to provide over 16 hours of night running with the LED at the background level.
20) Should a survey be carried out to ensure the solar installation will work?
Yes. It is important to make sure that the product receives as much sun as possible during the winter. Consider overhanging trees, buildings casting shadows, positioning in the entrance of subway tunnels etc.
21) Can we customise the product with different colour finishes and logos?
22) Can we use different colour lighting? Can they flash?
Currently only white light is available. Other colours would require redesign of the LED module. The product uses a daylight white LED of around 4000K colour temperature. Different LEDs could be fitted with colour temperatures ranging from 2700K to 6000K.
Special software could be written to flash the LED instead of a steady light.
23) What colour temperature is the LED?
4000K white colour temperature.
24) How much does a Solarpost Lighting Bollard weigh?
25) Do you supply different base fixings? Is it removable?
Yes. The post is removable from the base fixing.
26) Does the product know its environment to give maximum productivity in the specific environment it is installed?
Yes, by monitoring how much charge it receives from day to day and the length of night it can adjust its performance to suit.
27) Will the product relight if the batteries run low?
Yes. The product has a built-in circuit to prevent the batteries from being completely discharged and destroyed. If kept in the dark for 24 hours it goes to sleep and wakes up when it sees light. With a fully charged battery it can remain asleep for up to one year and still wake up when it sees light.
28) What level of charge are the batteries shipped at?
29) How far is the product visible from (at low and bright light)?
10 – 20 metres.
30) Is the product vandal resistant?
31) Can you produce custom made heights?